Farm workers are killed each year by electrocution when large farm machinery makes contact with overhead power lines. The following tips will help keep everyone on the farm safe:
- Look over work areas carefully for overhead power lines and utility poles.
- Make sure there are ample clearances of power lines when moving large machinery such as combines, grain augers, pickers, bailers and front end loaders.
- When planning new construction, consider existing power lines.
- Be extra careful when working around trees and brush that often obstruct power lines.
- Train all farm workers on how to properly operate machinery near overhead power lines.
Source: ©Safe Electricity, www.safeelectricity.org; National Ag Safety Database